Smashed Rainbow Salad Sandwich
We all know eating as many colourful veggies as we can is only a good thing and this sandwich is a great way to do it. Mix up the fillings with whatever takes your fancy that day and a top tip to be starting with: Place onion and lemon juice in a small bowl and leave to soak while you prep your other ingredients, it gives the onion time to soften in both taste and texture. Enjoy!
- 1/8 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 can chickpeas (400g), drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, smashed with a fork
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- a handful of pea sprouts
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 can sliced beetroot, drained
8 slices of your favourite bread or my favourite bitchin' beer bread
1. Place all smash ingredients into a large bowl and roughly mash with a potato masher. You want it to still have a few chunks and some texture. Season to taste.
2. Next, build your sandwiches using approx. ¼ of the smash mixture for each.
Keep any leftover smash in the fridge for up to 2-3 days and enjoy on toast or with veggie sticks. It’s best to assemble your rainbow sandwich right before eating.
I love my Bitchin’ Beer Bread with this. Check out the recipe. If you’re feeling like giving homemade, amazing bread a go! You can do it! Just make, bake and freeze in slices for quick, yummy sandwiches whenever you feel like them.
Feel free to mix up the toppings and use whatever you feel like on the day, just make it colourful!
Use your favourite vegan mayonnaise.
Hi! I am Dr Kat,
I am on a mission to teach the world
the POWER of CONFIDENCE.