Fluffy Brown Rice
Brown rice can be a bit frustrating to cook. It either turns out undercooked or sticky and mushy, like bad porridge. Although always best to follow the package instructions, here’s a technique I learned along the way. It does take a little more effort but… heck, you’re already making brown rice rather than buying it pre-cooked! So, that’s a win, right?
COOKING YOUR BROWN RICE
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp sea salt
1. Bring a large pot of water (at least 2 litres) to boil over high heat with salt.
2. Meanwhile, rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds.
3. Add the rice to the boiling water and give it a quick stir. Bring to the boil and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Then turn off the heat and take the pot off the element.
4. Strain rice (use same strainer is fine).
5. Let the rice drain for 8-10 seconds, then place it back into pot (still off the heat) and immediately cover with the lid.
6. Let sit for 10 minutes (no peeking!) then uncover, fluff and serve.
QUICK BROWN RICE IDEAS
If you’re making a veggie puree soup, add a cup or 2 before pureeing, it adds the most amazing creaminess…without the cream!
Throw it on or mix it into salads! For example, you could substitute brown rice for the quinoa used in Work it Waldorf Salads.
Boil it along with some milk for a variation for porridge.
Hi! I am Dr Kat,
I am on a mission to teach the world
the POWER of CONFIDENCE.