Beauty Beetroot Soup
If the saying “we first eat with our eyes”, you’ll be too full to even eat this dish! Beautiful purples and velvety whites are a marriage made in heaven. This soup is a play off my father’s favourites, Manischewitz’s Beet Borsht, which was a liquid soup that came in a glass jar. As eating it straight up as he did is a bit too punchy for me, this soup softens the flavours using Greek yoghurt and fresh dill.
- 2 250g package roasted beets with juice
- ¼ sweet onion, peeled, rough chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh dill, rough chopped
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yoghurt + garnish
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, rough chopped
- to taste fresh ground salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Keep ½ beet and some dill aside for garnish.
2. Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add a little apple juice or water if you’d prefer it thinner.
3. Taste – remembering that food that is served cold loses flavour, so sharpen with a bit more salt if needed.
4. If you are serving this to the Queen of England or George Clooney, press through a fine-mesh sieve for a perfectly smooth consistency.
5. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours until nice and cold. If either of these people are already on their way, cool down faster by placing the soup over a bowl of ice water in the fridge and stir every 10 or so minutes.
This salad is even better with an extra dollop of Greek Yoghurt on top!
This dish is too delicious to change!
If you can’t find pre-roasted beets (and don’t want to roast your own) – a good quality canned substitute is just fine and dandy. Use the juices as well or strain and use in smoothies.
Several studies have looked at the health benefits of including reducing constipation, reducing fatigue and inhibiting the growth of some cancers. As always, I stress to caution these results as studies vary in regards to their dosages, their study methods and subject characteristics (i.e. age, gender, ethnicity, health status). What is clear, however, is that any form of concentrated beetroot is extremely potent and can be toxic when consumed in excessive portions. Therefore, start gradually (including with this soup) at small doses and never drink beetroot juice in large quantities.
To veganise, 1 cup of lite coconut cream for the yoghurt. For a better balance of flavour, I would suggest using coriander instead of dill.
Hi! I am Dr Kat,
I am on a mission to teach the world
the POWER of CONFIDENCE.