Beg for Baked Apples
If you like the flavours of apple pie but don’t want all the fuss or the pastry, this recipe has your name all over it. Feel free to get creative with the filings and add any variety of dried fruit or nuts into the mix, or even make a creamy version with a few tablespoons of cream cheese. I’m so happy you’re making this recipe! (Just wanted you to know).
- 4 cooking apples, washed, dried and unpeeled
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup whole rolled oats
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a small baking dish (big enough to fit 4 whole apples) with baking paper and set aside.
2. Now to prep those apples! Slice a tiny bit off the top of each apple and set aside. Do one apple at a time and use a melon-baller to scoop down the middle and around the sides – place scooped out flesh into a bowl and discard only the bit with the seeds (see Tips below).
3. You should now have 3 things: 4 apple tops; 4 scooped out apples; 1 bowl with apple flesh. Check?
4. Next, mash apple flesh with a fork and mix in ground almonds, oats, 2 tbsp of the honey, and cinnamon.
5. Evenly stuff each of the apples with oat mixture and top with reserved apple tops. Then, with clean hands, drizzle the last tablespoon of honey on your fingertips and rub it onto the outside of the apples. Trust me!
6. Bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
8. Done! Serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
Keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. Cut up and have with yoghurt and Crispy Crunch Muesli for a yummy breakfast the next day.
The best apples for baking are generally Golden Delicious, Royal Gala and Pink Lady™. Seasonal is always best, so be led by what is freshest and in abundance.
Pears are a great substitute for this recipe. Slice in half lengthways then scoop out the seeds (and discard) then proceed with making a little cavity. Stuff and bake laying flat with cavity-side up . You’ll still need 4 pears for the recipe, but will have 8 halves to stuff.
Hi! I am Dr Kat,
I am on a mission to teach the world
the POWER of CONFIDENCE.